Monday, March 9, 2009

"Late nights on the corner crooked had him a dream to drive a maroon 5 call him Adam Levine..."




Beef. In todays rap world, you can't go a day without someone starting to "beef" (though i agree more with Biggies definition "Beef is when i see you, guaranteed to be in ICU...) with someone else over no particularly good reason. In even more recent times, no talent artists like Curtis (YES, i mean none other than "Fitty") have used it solely as a means of promotion, then "squashing" it right after. Today was the first time that i saw an article on some kind of altercation between rappers that made me smile. It would appear that former Mobb Deep head honcho turned jailbird (on yet another weapons charge...) Prodigy wrote a "letter" (though it looks like a 4 year old wrote it, and not a very bright one at that...) naming his top 40 MCs, and called out up and coming Left Coast rapper Crooked I as not being talented.




Instead of running his mouth like a bitch, Crooked posted a public short response, which read a little something like this:

"I read your letter and you disrespectfully mentioned my name. If you don’t know why Vibe magazine chose to put me in the Best Rapper Alive issue maybe you should have researched me before you wrote what you wrote. Since you have time on your hands, you should check out week 1 thru 52 of my historical Hip Hop Weekly series. Week 33 was a freestyle over your song ‘Get Away’ (one of my favorite Mobb Deep songs). All things considered, there is a price for speaking on a real nigga sideways. Out west we call this price a ‘fade’. I need you to catch my fade, in other words, fight me 1 on 1. Nobody else, just you and me. I’ll wait for your release date since I don’t forget about shit."

"P.S. Do some push ups."

Now ain't that some real shit? Crooked I is in my opinion one of the best lyricists right now, and to top things off, is somewhat picking up the West Coast resurgence where the Game left off (who is apparently retiring...too bad, gotta say i really like that dude) with a little help from other artists like U-N-I, Zion I and of course the one and only Evidence. Additionally, the supergroup that Crooked formed with Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden and Royce Da 5'9" is seriously sick, there are rumors of an album...(peep the Rik Cordero directed "Move On" when it comes out). Prodigy was a legend in his day, Infamous is definitely one of the best albums of all time, but in the past few years (save for some track that he did with Alchemist) it's mostly been a lot of garbage. Rappers need to stop talking shit and contribute positively to hip-hop instead. P should be scared, word on the streets is that Crook got shot a few weeks back...better watch who you mess with sometimes...

1 comment:

trulymadlydeeply said...

you are so funny. "word on the street is..."
hahaa